IN THE NEWS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Las Cruces to Host New Mexico Outdoor Economics Conference on May 3rd and 4th
Nathan Small, New Mexico Wild 575-496-9540
Carrie Hamblen, Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce 575-496-5242
Las Cruces, New Mexico, February 15, 2018 – On May 3rd and 4th Las Cruces will host leaders from across New Mexico and the nation to explore successful strategies for creating jobs in tourism and outdoor recreation based on protected public lands. Doña Ana County has seen a surge in visitation resulting from the creation of the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument. Panel discussions at the Outdoor Economics Conference will include successful community programs around the country that promote nearby public lands, directors of multiple state “Offices Outdoor Recreation,” and leaders in the outdoor recreation industry.
Citizens and leaders interested in developing businesses and governmental policies connected to the outdoor recreation industry are encouraged to attend. People can register online at www.outdooreconomicsnm.com, and the registration fee is $25.
The New Mexico Outdoor Economics Conference will be held at the Hotel Encanto de Las Cruces, 705 S. Telshor Blvd., Las Cruces, New Mexico.
On May 3rd, the conference will hold panel discussions and an evening reception in the Organ Mountains. On May 4th, conference attendees will be able to participate in one of four different tours into the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument.
Conference Panels Include:
- Opening Address by U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich and Las Cruces Mayor Ken Miyagishima
- Local Community Public Lands Marketing Successes
- Outfitter & Outdoor Recreation Industry Leaders
- State Offices of Outdoor Recreation
- New Mexico Monuments, Parks, & LWCF Successes
Conference Speakers Include:
- Martin Heinrich U.S. Senator
- Ken Miyagishima, Mayor of Las Cruces
- Mike Caldwell, Mayor of Ogden Utah
- Kevney Dugan, President and CEO of “Visit Bend” Oregon
- Suzanne Catlett, President of Escalante & Boulder Utah Chamber of Commerce
- Carrie Hamblen, CEO & President of the Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce
- Anna Olson, President/CEO of Jackson Hole Wyoming Chamber of Commerce
- Ashley Korenblat, Western Spirit Cycling & Public Lands Solutions
- Kenji Haroutunian, Director of the California Outdoor Recreation Partners
- Devaki Murch, Trade Show Manager of the Grassroots Outdoor Alliance
- Luis Benitez, Director of the Colorado Office of Outdoor Recreation
- Tom Adams, Director of the Utah Office of Outdoor Recreation
- Jon Snyder, Outdoor Recreation and Economic Development Policy Advisor to the Governor of Washington
- Chris Lang, Owner of Organ Mountain Outfitters
- Brooks Thostenson, Founder and Owner of Taos Mountain Energy Bar
- Dan Irion, Owner of Taos Mesa Brewing Company
- Andrew Black, Director of Community Relations & Education, New Mexico Wildlife
Goals of the Conference Include:
- Showcase successful local and state governmental strategies for promoting and growing the outdoor recreation industry.
- Facilitate networking opportunities for New Mexico companies and entrepreneurs connected to outdoor recreation.
- Provide new ideas and success stories to outfitters and members of the hospitality industry for promoting the outdoor recreation industry and protected public lands.
- Highlight opportunities in Doa Ana County for outdoor recreation companies and suppliers.
The New Mexico Outdoor Economics Conference is being sponsored by New Mexico Wild, City of Las Cruces, Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce, Town of Mesilla, Outdoor Industry Association, Mesilla Valley Economic Development Alliance, and Union Pacific.
To learn more about New Mexico Outdoor Economics Conference visit www.outdooreconomicsnm.com
There, you can view the schedule, list of speakers and their bios, and register for the conference.